A gift in your will, also known as a legacy, is a great way of supporting the work of our volunteers. They help us to plan for the future with confidence, allowing us to thoroughly prepare for the challenges that British farmers might face.
No matter the size of legacy you choose to leave, your kindness and generosity will make such a difference to FCN. Your gift could:
- Ensure that our volunteers can always be there to support our farming families when they need it most.
- Support the running costs of our helpline so that confidential support is always available to farmers and their families.
- Help our volunteers reach more people in our farming community who are in need of a helping hand.
- Encourage and support farmers to build strong and sustainable businesses, ensuring the continuation of our farming heritage.
How to leave a legacy
Making a will and keeping it up to date is essential in making sure that your loved ones will benefit in the way you intended after you die. After providing for your loved ones, please consider leaving a gift to The Farming Community Network.
Legacies to registered charities in the UK like FCN are tax exempt. If you leave money to FCN in your will, it will be paid out before inheritance tax is deducted, reducing the total amount of tax paid on the estate.
There are four types of legacy to choose from:
- Pecuniary – a fixed sum of money.
- Residual – all or part of your estate after debts, funeral expenses, certain other costs and tax, and any other legacies have been deducted.
- Specific – an item of value such as jewellery.
- Reversionary (or Contingent) – a legacy that is dependent upon an event which may, or may not, happen. For example, a legacy that applies only if other beneficiaries named in the will die before the person who wrote the will does.
Updating your will
If you have already made a will, but would like to change it to include FCN, you can update it by writing a codicil.
A codicil is a legally binding document that allows you to make amendments to an existing will instead of completely re-writing an already written version.
What is the next step?
We always recommend that you speak to a solicitor when making or amending a will.
If you need to find a solicitor, The Law Society can put you in contact with a reputable solicitor who will incorporate your wishes:
The Law Society
Telephone: 020 7320 5650 (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm)
If you choose to leave FCN a legacy in your will, please ensure that you use our registered address and charity number:
The Farming Community Network, Manor Farm, Guilsborough Road, West Haddon, Northamptonshire, NN6 7AQ
Registered charity number
FCN acknowledge Beviss & Beckingsale Solicitors and their offices in Chard, Honiton, Axminster and Seaton for their assistance in helping to write this information.